Saturday, 12 April 2014

Chapter Eighty Nine

Back into the blog once more. Its been a bit up and down over the last couple of weeks. Our sad news has been a couple of deaths we could have done without.
When Katrina got married, I had the great pleasure to meet up with her grand parents on her dad's side of the family. Both came across as very nice people. Her granddad, John, was a delightful chap who had been a postman at Godalming for most of his working life. He and I got on very well together, and were soon swapping yarns and chatting about our work as postmen always seem to do.
Our careers had both overlapped in years although we never worked with each other. Between us both though we had been both working on the post for about the last sixty or seventy years. We chatted away quite happily for a good hour or more and I found him delightful.
We only had a brief time together in the great scheme of things but I always wanted to see him again. Sadly, with us now in Cornwall and them down in Sussex, we never met up again. And now John has passed away. Linda and I shall both miss him, and I really wish I had got to know him better.
He really was a charming, gentle man. I think he would have loved doing my delivery as much as me.

Talking of postmen, we had a lovely visit for a few hours from Gary Horne and his family. Gary is a mate of mine from Farnham Royal Mail and we worked together for over thirty years. His wife Liz is lovely; far to good for him we all say; ha ha. They popped in for the evening with Francesca and Tod. Two lovely kids; Francesca is delightful and Tod is a typically busy, almost two year old boy. It was a wonderful visit and catch up, both lively and entertaining. It was great to see them. 
Our other loss is a bit closer to home, and though not on the same level at all, has hit us a little hard. Poor old Widget, our female guinea pig, has died as well. She had an endearing way of whistling at you when she saw you, and both of us miss that as we walk out into the garden.
Just lately, she has become something of a voracious eater and has been consuming vast quantities of food. Things got to a head recently as she began to take food off Whiskey as he was trying to eat. Constantly bloated and devouring vast quantities of food she eventually ate herself to death. Like the two medieval kings who died of over eating; one from a 'surfeit of Lampreys', the other on his toilet still stuffing his face with fresh strawberries; she was not well at all.
The vet told us she was not going to make it and would never survive an op. He had only one thing to try, but sadly it was all to late. Thankfully, Linda is the most consumate country woman I know, and is both practical and knowledgeable about dealing with things.
Linda did her best but natural kindness in the end, meant she had to put Widget down.
She really is a very remarkable woman.

Life has had to move on. Guinea pigs do not like living on their own and will quickly pine away and die if lonely. Linda went back up to see Maria and came home the following day with another guinea pig. She is a female called Penny, and is identical to Whiskey in colour. The only difference between them both is that Penny has a white smudge just beside her nose.
 I believe Linda will be changing the name of Penny very soon...but I don't know what she will call her.
There has been no more new developments at work at present. The new way of working has not been without its problems and, although some of the changes are working, others are not. Here at St Mawes we have managed to adapt the whole thing ourselves and have made it work by dint of common sense and local knowledge. We have been luckier than most though, as has Portscatho...and I put this down to our isolation.
However, I am still on full hours at present as I am still going into Truro each day to clear the second wave of mail. The money is useful and it is no problem to me. It just means I am still not getting any writing done.
We have got the office into some semblance of order though and I have worked hard to sort out my corner of the place. Its taking shape.
We are using the Quay to park the vans first thing in the morning and that is an unusual sight.
I have been watching the shipping going in and out of Falmouth and spotted quite a few different vessels in the Carrick Roads. I managed to see this yacht as she was leaving. She has been there over the winter. The mast on her is the tallest mast in the world on a mono-hulled yacht. It is so tall it has to have a permanent red light at the top because of air traffic. Seriously; she could be trouble for helicopters because they can come over quite low to the water.

Life for both of us is exceedingly good at the moment. Linda is enjoying her work on the Roseland as much as I am. Both of us feel very much part of the local community. Linda is more heavily involved with the Samba band now and has become their secretary. She is organising and dealing with things as only she knows how. Its what keeps her sane.
The other morning I was opening the curtains and was struck by how beautiful the colours looked on the wall beneath us. There is a lovely stone wall between us and Gary and Jeaneattes house. There is a camellia bush and a blossoming tree, plus a display of blue flowers. I couldn't resist taking a picture. I even managed to take it with Magic sitting in the back ground.

Please forgive the quality of this photo. It was the pallette of colour I was after.
I am on duty today in the Lookout. Its my first watch of the new season. I shall write about it later on in the other blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment