Thursday, 6 June 2013

Chapter Seventy Three

We seemed to have the very last of the extreme bad weather in the west country just before Lucy and Jon came down. Snow fell on various parts of the country including near us. Bodmin Moor saw some snow , as did parts of Devon. We even had a snow shower down with us for a few moments but nothing settled. It was in the rain more than anything else.
Not what you really expect for the middle of May!!!
Thursday the 16th was an unusual day though in more ways than one. The county awoke to frost, which was followed by hail and a light dusting of snow which promptly faded away during the day. It was lovely though were we were and this continued throughout the day. Very localised though. It got very dark at St Mawes and finally rained a bit over the lunchtime. I got home (10 miles away) to find it had been lovely all day. In fact it was so dry I was able to mow the lawns. Linda was at work just the other side of Truro (also 10 miles away) and it had rained and drizzled for most of the day.
Those distances are as the crow flies...but still very odd.
Linda went to bed without waking me as I had an early sleep that evening. I got up at 22-45 and headed off to St Austell.
Yay...I went to collect Lucy and Jon from the train. They are down with us for a long weekend and we are looking forward to having them with us. Their train came in at 23-35 and I got them safely home by just after midnight.
Linda and I both had to work on the Friday but then we to, would have the weekend off. I have the Monday as well.
Incredibly the weather finally took an almighty turn for the better and we had a great few days.
I nipped home on the Friday and took both of them over to St Mawes. I was able to get them into the castle for a visit while I carried on with my delivery. We then met up in the Rising Sun and had a really good catch up together.

The following day, Linda had to go up and put a full day in at the allotment. Its not been easy with this spring and she wanted to make the most of the good weather.
I did take the two of them down to the Coastwatch Station to see were I work. Really proud of being there and delighted with my Radio qualification I have just received. We then left there and I drove onto the King Harry and crossed over.

This made it easier to get down onto the Lizard and we had a walk down to the old lifeboat station. The good news down there is that its closed off at the moment because some Choughs are nesting in the old building. It's good to see them flourishing once more down here.
We had a look out across the bay at the rocks sticking up out of the sea...one of which is called 'MULVIN'. I still can't get over that or even find out why it is called that. Very odd.

From here I took them both to St Michaels Mount. Although closed on a Saturday I thought we could have walked across. Sadly the tide was in and there are no boats on a Saturday when the National Trust bit is shut.
 The girl in this picture was really pretty, but when she bent her head down like that to look at her phone she gave a perfect image of 'Cousin It'.
We didn't waste the time however and had a couple of pints in the pub in Marazion as we looked across. Parking was almost free as I paid my £4-20 in the machine; took my ticket; and then performed the old Mulvin trick of checking the 'change slot'. The machine doesn't give change but the slot is there in case a coin doesn't work and slips through. I found £2-20 inside it and was well pleased.
That evening we got the old BBQ out and had a barbie in the back garden. A wonderful meal if I may say so.

Sunday we drove up to Padstow and had a good old walk around up there. We even paddled in the sea. I led a small expedition of the four of us to a beach with some interesting caves I knew. I thought this would be interesting and fun. Two miles on and at the end of a caveless beach I finally admitted I may have gone to the wrong beach.
'Pardon me and my mistake!'
Even my apology didn't seem to carry much weight. I was forgiven though when we returned back to Padstow and I plied them all with Fish and Chips and a couple of beers. I wasn't so much forgiven for this magnanimous gesture...as for taking a full hit from some bloody seagull that decided to use me as a toilet. Charming.

All to soon it was Monday and the two of them had to return to London. I hated saying goodbye, but at least we know they will be down again at some point. We did have lunch in Mevagissey before they left and a little walk around as well so that was nice.
It was a lovely weekend though and we enjoyed ourselves very much.
The next week went well and I had fun at work. Good weather all week and a fairly easy week of it with the mail.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment