Tuesday, 28 February 2012

Chapter Twenty Eight

This weekend of the 25th February was supposed to have been the weekend Linda did her freefall parachute jump. Its been moved to a new date of the 25th March. It was only as the week before came to a close that we discovered Linda would have not been jumping with the rest of the team if she had gone on that day.
I assume that somewhere along the line a mistake was made with the months.
Anyway; all's well that ends well. Linda will be jumping on the day with the team of Tesco employee's that have volunteered to go. These volunteers are from all the Tesco outlets in both Cornwall and Devon. I could be wrong but I believe there could be about twenty of them. Linda is the only one from the Alzheimers Society who is taking part and is delighted to have other's to go with.
As already stated, I will be there on the day. I shall stand with both feet firmly on the ground and hold her coat. Sadly; there is no way I could do a jump like this. Whether the chute opened or not...I would be dead by the time I touched down on the ground. I get palpitations balancing on a step ladder and my heart goes all fluttery just looking at the carpet ten feet below. Can you imagine what my heart would do as I toppled face first out of the door of an aeroplane as I stared at the ground ten thousand feet below.
CORRECT.
Like the old grandfather clock in our hall, it would stop short and never go again.
For those people now thinking the word...WUSS...I can only agree.
However; up until Friday we had all thought Linda was jumping on the Saturday. To this end, and to cheer Linda on, my sister Therese and niece Becky both decided to come down and be part of her support team. Linda didn't jump...but I'm delighted to say that they came anyway.
They arrived at about 19-00 and it was good to see them again. There was lots of catching up to do and the evening flew by.
The following morning while I was at work, the local hunt met at the Kings Head just across from us. It doesn't really matter about my views on hunting; I just love the whole sense of history and of Britishness, (is that a word??) about it. The riders were dressed in hunting pink or black riding coats; the hounds were held in one corner of the carpark were they milled and watched in anticipation of 'the off''; the horses fidgeted, yet waited patiently, as they to yearned for the chase; and the stirrup cup in the shape of mulled wine passed through the supporters.
Even Linda, Therese, and Becky got a glass each as well. I'm glad they did, as Linda had been taking photograph's. Some people may have been a little nervous in case she was a hunt saboteur. As it was, she was recognised by many from the pub who knew her as an enthusiast so no harm done.
By the time I got home they had all gone. Even the horse droppings had been squirreled away and now sat enriching some cottage garden or other. Not our's I might add. Three of the idiots out there and not one of them thought to take a bucket and a shovel. They wouldn't have lasted seconds in my day when we followed the milkmans 'orse.
In the afternoon we decided to take Therese and Becky out for a visit. I took them all to Polperro and then onto Looe, via the Bodinnick Ferry. We all had a great time and Linda and I were delighted to know that neither of them had been there before.
The weather was sunny and fairly warm so we enjoyed the walks around both places. Polperro is such a different place when it is quiet like that. We had only ever seen it in the summer when it's wall to wall tourists. I missed the excitement of it being busy, but it was nice to be there while it was still.
Looe too was quiet, although busy at the fish quay with the boats coming back in as we walked around. We took them both to see 'Clives Cats' but it was closed. He is away for two months on a tropical isle according to the sign. The sign also said we could queue up and wait for his return if we would like; we didn't bother. We did see some of the pictures though and they were very funny.
As the light drifted into night we returned to our old favourite haunt, 'The Golden Guinea'. We had a smashing meal and it was wonderful as usual.
I always enjoy walking through Looe in the dark and this evening was no exception. It really was a lovely day.
The following morning we had a lazy Sunday and ate a leisurely breakfast and just talked really. Nice to chill sometimes.  Our landlord David came around and agreed we could put Linda's greenhouse up in the garden.
We said our goodbyes at about 14-00 and waved Therese and Becky off. Only a lightening visit over 48 hours but great fun and we got a lot done. Both Linda and I enjoy good company and we miss them already. In fact we miss everybody up-country. Don't forget to come down and call in when you can.
The afternoon then struggled past as Linda and I launched ourselves at the remains of the greenhouse and attempted to rebuild it.
I am not the most practical of men but eventually between the two of us we got the damned thing built and standing upright in a corner of the garden.
Next Sunday we plan on putting the glass into it. It's going to be such a pane. Hee Hee.
Monday 27th February must have then become 'National (we must contact Dad) Day.' It was lovely. I chatted to my youngest, Lucy and we talked about her visit down here to us in a couple of weeks time. She and Jon are coming down for a long weekend and we are all getting excited about that. It will be good to see them and great fun to be able to take them around to different places as well. Finger's crossed for good weather that's what I say.
I also spoke to my eldest, Fiona who passed her driving test on her first attempt only that very morning. I am so pleased for her and proud of her as well. Woody has been brilliant and by lunchtime had already got his car insured for her to drive. So pleased for her and we had a long chat on the phone in the evening.

 Fiona on the left.                                                                                        Lucy on the right.

No comments:

Post a Comment