Monday, 28 November 2011

Chapter Fifteen

We have had a busy week or so since I last wrote anything. About ten days ago we went across to St Austell to see the torchlight procession. After a breathtakingly boring bit of shopping we headed off to the square by the simple expedient of following the sound of the drums. It was fantastic when we got there as the band use only instruments made out of waste materials.
It made for an energetic, yet surprisingly musical, event. They quickly got all the kids involved in drumming and belting out a rhythm on anything that came to hand. Linda was using two bits of rubber piping and drumming with them on the stair railings. She had as much fun as the little boy who stood beside her bashing on the same bit of pipe with his rubber piping.
As darkness descended the evening was made more special by the fact that we met up with Ian and Tanya while Linda was drumming. Ian and I led the four person exodus into a nearby pub were we had a drink or two before heading to see the parade.
Credit were credit is due. Tanya not only knew the best spot to stand in but also got us there just as the parade came into view along the street. It was a brilliant parade with much music and noise, plus some brilliant floats and costumed walkers as well. The theme was obviously Christmas and the lights and the colours made it especially momentous. Great fun.
Before we came home we had coffee with them both in their cottage. A lovely little place, tucked away, yet right smack in the middle of town. The best of both worlds. It was good to see them both again and the evening was great fun.
Although a little chilly the weather has been amazing for November and it was no surprise on Sunday to find the sun shining out of a clear blue sky. We headed for our beach, and though it was warm enough that some people were paddling in the water, we wore our wellies and headed along the beach to go rock pooling.
The tide was coming in but all was perfectly safe as we scrambled around the place. Eventually we walked along the shoreline and waded through the waves to the beach beyond. Sadly we never made it and had to turn back as the water depth was now increasing just a tad. We noticed this when a wave rolled in and poured most of itself into my boots. Its funny what Linda finds to laugh at.
As it turned out the water was not as cold as I expected and we walked back to the car without any bother. I sat on the wall beside the car and took the boots and socks off. Not much water poured out of the boots but gallons of it fell to the ground as I wrung out me socks.
Surprisingly, just sitting there in the shelter of the wall but in direct sunshine, my feet dried off very quickly. It was lovely relaxing there and reading the Sunday papers and reminded us once more of the reasons we came down here to live.
All to soon it was time to head home and get back to some sort of reality. I was quite content to sit in the armchair with my face firmly wedged in a book but Linda had some jobs in the garden needed doing.
For once all went according to plan and my jobs were done easily and without fuss or bother. I must have been using somebody else's head because as most people know...this is not normally the case. In fact; and it is without any question quite possible; that Linda and I must have swapped heads with each other. This became apparent quite quickly on.
I was happily putting the last of the garden box together and just debating whether to get the old drill out and put up the shelves and hooks in the shed when all hell broke loose. The effing and blinding from the shed were Linda was working would have put a squad of postmen to shame. At the same time as the diatribe of bad language filled my ears my eyes witnessed the sight of an empty paint pot spinning out of the shed and landing in the hedge.
As the shed wobbled and bounced in a frenzy of movement I crept fearfully forward and peeped in through the door. Linda stood there seething in a pool of paint and still clutching the handle of the paint pot which had snapped off as she lifted the pot up into the air. The lid of the paint pot lay quietly on the floor as if to scared to move, probably because it had just seen Linda drop kick the pot out through the door.
Discretion being the better part of valour and my own personal liking for a sound skin outweighing everything, I quietly withdrew and left Linda alone. I had thought of a couple of merry quips I could have used or even whipped up a couple of little jokes to ease the situation along...but thought better of it.
The Mulvin men in the family are not cowardly really, but through the ages have developed a keen sense of survival. Pragmatism is the watchword we go by and the family motto supports this...
'He who turns and runs away...lives to run away...another day.'
Actually...that might just be me. Anyway, I legged it.
By teatime all was cleaned up and restored as it once was. I knew I had made the right decision not to get involved when Linda told me I'd made the right decision and hadn't got involved. So there you have it. Call it discretion; or pragmatism; or just being a wuss...its best to keep out of the way when the wife makes any sort of error. That's good advice that is so remember it.
Had a brilliant day yesterday with the weather still good. We decided to go along to the 'Eden Project' and get our yearly membership tickets. If you live in Cornwall you pay just £5-00 per person and get free entry for a year.
We had a great time wandering around the place and seeing the gardens. They have built a giant Xmas tree entirely out of plastic bags and it is amazing. Ever so clever.
We also walked through the allotments that they have and picked up some ideas to use back at our place. What astonished us so much was the fact that the weather conditions at the moment in Cornwall have resulted in the daffodils coming out. We never thought we would see daffodils flowering alongside a bed of leeks and a bed of cabbage. A real example of nature being very unsure at the moment. There were even bumble bees droning past as well fluttering butterflies. All very odd.
The highlight of the trip however is of course the Equatorial forest inside the largest of the biomes.
The heat in there was terrific and very quickly you find yourself stripping off to the minimum. Considering it is still November, the heat of the sun combined with the humidity inside the biome, had made it unsafe to walk up on the aerial walkway. The staff said there was a real fear that people may faint up there and they actually opened the doors to suck colder air into the place to help.
A good day out though and we finished off by driving over to Looe and having our dinner in the Golden Guinea restaurant.

No comments:

Post a Comment