Thursday, 20 October 2011

Chapter six

I forgot to mention that our first day in Cornwall, the day we moved in, was Wednesday 21st September. That was my dad's birthday and he would have been 85. A real coincidence. The cards have been coming through the door thick and fast from both family and friends. So many cards now up "Its beginning to look a lot like Christmas", as the song say's.
The house has now become a home and its lovely. Very dark at night though with nary a street light for miles.
We popped into the churchyard and found the grave and saw the memorial stone for the man who used to live here. We've introduced ourselves to him and I told him we had moved into his house. The sun shone down and a gentle breeze blew and it seemed to indicate that all was right with the world. I hope he would have been pleased anyway.
Linda started work on Monday 26th and has dived straight in at the deep end as regards her new job role. She is understandably nervous and very much out of her comfort zone now but I know she will be OK. Everything has to be 'just so' with Linda or she struggles a bit. It will take her a couple of weeks but it will be alright. Her job is very varied with the Alzheimers Society but I know she can adapt. She seems to be heavily involved with the volunteer's; the 'Singing for the Brain' activity, and the Memory Cafes. I know she will enjoy the challenge.
Her first week behind her we ended up with a whole weekend off together. Saturday was brilliant because we went into St Austell and met up with ex Farnham postie...Ian Sawkins and his partner, Tania. The pub sold real ale and it slipped down the old throat very easily. There was loads to talk about and we were there for almost six hours. With all that talking no wonder we developed such a terrible thirst. I even had to go out twice to feed the meter in the car park. For those of my colleagues who are interested in such things you will be amazed to hear that I bought a couple of rounds...and with my own money.
Sunday 2cnd October proved to be the record breaking day as regards the weather. We had hit the beach by 0930 that morning on a falling tide and sat out happily in the sun. Linda was in a bikini like so many others and I was wearing just a pair of shorts.
 It was so hot that we were in the sea along with everybody else by lunchtime. Linda enjoyed her swim and I enjoyed my paddle...I can only swim with both feet firmly on the bottom so I dont bother going out of my depth anymore.
We have been incredibly lucky to have the chance to move here and have already had a couple of evening walks in places like Mevagissey and St Mawes. As Linda say's, "That's what we moved down here for." It really is like being on holiday every day.
Several evenings have gone by with us both out walking. Just below us is the road on part of the estuary. We can take a stroll along there and past the quay to the old bridge. Its beautiful just watching the sun going down like that. There are birds everywhere and Linda seems to know each one...well their breed's that is. The colours and the sounds, the bird song and calls, the feel of the wind and the sense of time. It really is a delight.
Linda is taking to her work like a duck to water and enjoying life. It was with great excitement that I too found myself with an appointment for an interview for a job with Royal Mail. Sadly my 39 years counts for nothing and I will not be able to transfer down here. It seems that the only jobs Royal Mail offer these days are part time and on a six month contract. According to the person I spoke to this meant they could not accept a transfer from my old full time non contract job to a part time six month contract.
I have been told that the loyalty I showed in staying with Royal Mail for all those 39 years counts for nothing and I must apply for a job as a new entrant. I even had to take a sorting test. I haven't done one of those since 1972.
Anyway...I passed that.
Then I had to have a job interview to see if I was capable of doing the job. I haven't had one of those since 1972 either.
Anyway...I passed that.
The interviewer was a little surprised that I had to go through all this rigmarole because he had just read my CV and it was a good few years longer than his. But he was a very nice chap and he wished me every success in the job down here.
A week later I received an e mail telling me that I HADN'T GOT THE JOB. There was no reason given but there didn't need to be really.
All I know is that I have never felt so crushed, so lost, so unwanted, or so devasted in my entire working life. There was a crumb of comfort on the note to say I could possibly be considered for another job in Truro in the next three months and I may be chosen then. Its something anyway.
But the hurt of that decision has cut me deeply. I may, and I wish it more than anything because its all I know, be employed by Royal Mail in the future. I will treat any customers down here with the same 'customer service' I did in Surrey and I will enjoy my work with my colleagues as I did before. I will work hard for Royal Mail again and be proud of the job I have...but I will never trust Royal Mail as I once did; that I can't do. Now I know the meaning of corporate loyalty, the trust has sadly...disappeared     

No comments:

Post a Comment